f 55 (4 April 1624–24 April 1625) (Receipts)
|Item at the neighboures meeteing at Whitsontide||6–0–6 ob.|
There are no more receipts from a Whitsun event until 1633–4. In 1630–1 the parish was in the midst of major renovations to the church fabric. In 1631–2 ninety-seven parishioners contributed £199 14s 8d (ff 61–1v). Sir Robert Knollys (1589–1659), son of Richard Knollys, the fifth son of Sir Francis, contributed £27. The Knollys manor near Stanford had come to Robert after the death of his elder brother Henry. One other major contributor from the parish was Mr Francis Knollys. In all he contributed £17 16d. There was another big donation of £17. So of the total £61 16d or around thirty per cent came from three people. However, the expenses came to £220 6s 7d, leaving a substantial deficit to carry forward. For a discussion of the extended Knollys family see Historical Background.
Record title: St Denys'
Shelfmark: D/P 118/5/1
Repository location: Reading
This is a very tidy and well-kept book. On the end-papers are various handwritten notes about the church and a printed version of the inventory made for Edward VI's commissioners. Written on the inside cover are the words 'for Chr. Wordsworth DD | vicar of Stanford-in-the-Vale | Gt Faringdon | Diocese Oxon | County Berks | to be kept in the Parish Chest.' The book proper begins with a mid-sixteenth–century inventory of vestments and books (including the paraphrases of Erasmus). Then follow several cancelled folios of names with sums and fees attached from the 1560s. There are also two other unusual sections: the first is a rent roll of all the lands owned by the parish; the second is, apparently, a communion register. The churchwardens' accounts proper then occupy the rest of the book. The dating is not tied to any feast day. The accounts were rendered for the most part in April.
1552–1725; English; paper; ii + 131 + ii; 412mm x 140mm; modern foliation, first 11 ff unnumbered; bound in tooled brown leather, title stamped in gold on spine: 'Stanford | in the | Vale | Church- | Wardens | Accounts | 1552–1725.'