This is the only entry in the early pages of the MS that mentions summer festivals. The years of Edward's reign were taken up by a large scale pillage of the abbey buildings under the direction of Thomas Vachell, a member of the parish, and Sir William Penyson (see Historical Background). Major repairs to the fabric of the church were made using material from the abbey rendering it the spectacular ruin it is today. The first 32 pages are taken up with payments relevant to work on the fabric of the church. The date 1547 appears on this page and the first actual account is dated 1555–6.
This entry is in a different hand from the major scribe and is possibly the hand of the auditor.
Record title: St Mary's Churchwardens' Accounts
Shelfmark: D/P 98/5/1
Repository location: Reading
The yearly accounts, in our period rendered on Good Friday, begin on p 33 with the accounts for 1555–6. The accounts to 1675 then follow on numbered pages. Subsequent accounts are also not paginated. The later parts of the book contain miscellaneous church records, including coloured plans for the church bound into the book at the year 1837. At the year 1885 there is a note on the improvement of the churchyard with a coloured plan.
1547–1907; English; paper with parchment flyleaves; ii + 415 + ii; 385mm x 275mm; modern pagination (4 unnumbered leaves, 128 leaves paginated 1–255 followed by 217 unnumbered leaves taking the accounts to 1907, these are followed by 66 blank leaves); some display capitals, later entries ruled in red; bound in tooled brown leather fraying at the edges, title stamped on front cover: 'Parish of St Mary | Reading | Churchwardens' Register | 1547 to (blank).'