Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 47 (2 June–25 May) (Expenses on the principal day)


In primis ad exequias vltimo anno xiiij d. Ad colloquium factum in pane ⸢vj d.⸣ seruisia ⸢iiij d. ob.⸣ & caseo ⸢iiij d.⸣ xiiij d. ob. In j Combe frumenti v s. vj d. parte vj bushels frumenti data ad ffratres ex beneuolencia diuersorum ffratrum In multura & pistura xij d. In vj dossenis seruisie x s. In ij kilderkins potus iiij d. In xxvj aucarum iij s. iij d. In j quarterio Auenarum empto ad cibandas dictas aucas parte ij bushels Auenarum data ex beneuolencia ij s. viij d. In ij vitulis emptis iij s. x d. In v Agnellis emptis parte cuiuslibet v s. x d. In iij dossenis pullorum galinorum iij s. In C dimidio ⸢Ouis⸣ ix d. In butiro iiij d. In iij ⸢x d.⸣ galenis ⸢j quarterio⸣ creme & iiij ⸢iiij d.⸣ galenis lactis xiiij d. In j quarterio mellis iiij s. In speciebus & reysones ij s. x d. In sale ij d. In aceto & veriouse iij d. In stipendio ij mynstrallorum famulorum Nicholai manger iij s. iiij d. In stipendio Coci ij s. In swelleres & Turneres x d. In ffocali xviij d. In carnibus vituli & pane post emptis xiiij d.

Summa li s. iiij d. ob.


  • Record Translation

    p 47 (2 June–25 May) (Expenses on the principal day)


    First for the obsequies last year, 14d; For the meeting held on bread, 6d, ale, 4 1/2d, and cheese, 4d, (in total) 14 1/2d. On one coomb of grain, 5s 6d, part of six bushels of grain given to the brothers out of the kindness of various brothers; on milling and baking, 12d; on six dozen of ale, 10s; on two kilderkins of drink, 4d; on twenty-six geese, 3s 3d; on one quarter of oats bought to feed the said geese, part of two bushels of oats given from kindness, 2s 8d; on two calves bought, 3s 10d; on five lambs bought, part of each, 5s 10d; on three dozen chicken pullets, 3s; on 150 eggs, 9d; on butter, 4d; on three gallons (and) one quart of cream, and four gallons, 4d, of milk, 14d; on one quart of honey, 4s; on spices and raisins, 2s 10d; on salt, 2d; on vinegar and verjuice, 3d; on the stipend of two minstrels, servants of Nicholas Maunger, 3s 3d; on the stipend of the cook, 2s; on swillers and turners, 10d; on fuel, 18d. In veal and bread bought afterwards, 14d.

    In total 51s 4 1/2 d.


  • Glossed Terms
    • potus, -us n m drink, here weak ale as distinct from ceruisia
    • veriows n verjuice; vegews; vergeous; vergeows; verious; veriouse; verius
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 2 June 1482.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top