Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 49 (13 June–29 May) (Expenses on the principal day)


In expenses ad exequias vltimo Anno xiiij d. In j quarterio dimidio frummenti ix s. In multura & pistura inde xvj d. In vij dossenis dimidio seruisie xj s. iij d. In ij kilderkins potus iiij d. In <.> ij dossenis ij aucarum iiij s. iiiij d. In iij combis Auenarum ⸢ad⸣ cibandum & j tynte viac' ij s. iij d. In iij multonis vj s. In ij vitulis v s. iiij d. In iiij dossenis & viij pullorum iiij s. vij d. In diuersis speciebus iij s. vj d. ob. In j potello mellis ix d. In 4 C Ouorum xiij d. In butiro vij d. In iij lagenis <.> <.> dimidio le Creme x d. ob. In iiij lactis iiij d. In sale aceto & otemele v d. In stipendio Nicholai manger minstralli iij s. iiij d. In stipendio coci Thome Pycard ij s. In swilleres & turnaures xij d. In focali xxij d.

Summa lxij s. iiij d.


  • Footnotes
    • iiiij: for iiij d (?)
    • viac': possibly in error for or a variant of vicie
  • Record Translation

    p 49 (13 June–29 May) (Expenses on the principal day)


    On expenses for the obsequies last year, 14d; on one quarter (and) a half of grain, 9s; on milling and baking thereof, 16d; on seven dozen (and) a half of ale, 11s 3d; on two kilderkins of drink, 4d; on two dozen geese, 4s 4d; on three coombs of oats for feeding (the geese) and one tynte of vetch, 2s 3d; on three sheep, 6s; on two calves, 5s 4d; on four dozen and seven pullets, 4s 7d; on various spices, 7s 6 1/2d; on one pottle of honey, 9d; on 400 eggs, 13d; on butter, 7d; on three and a half gallons of cream, 10 1/2d; on four (gallons) of milk, 4d; on salt, vinegar, and oatmeal, 5d; on Nicholas Maunger, the minstrel's stipend, 3s 4d; on the cook, Thomas Picard's stipend, 2s; on swillers and turners, 12d; on fuel, 22d.

    In total 62s 4d


  • Glossed Terms
    • potus, -us n m drink, here weak ale as distinct from ceruisia
    • otemele n oatmeal; otmele
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 13 June 1484.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top