Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 53 (1 June 1488–14 June 1489) (Expenses on the principal day)


In expensis ad exequias vltimo Anno factis ⸢pro cli<..> & B<..>a'⸣ vj d. In j quarterio j bushel frumenti vj sl ix d. ⸢iiij s. vj d.⸣ in multura & pistura xij d. Summa viij s. vj s.
Item in potuviij dossenis seruisie x s. viij d. In potuiiij d. In xlvj Aucis cum cibacione x s. In j multono iij s. Summa xxj s. xxiiij s.
Item in ij vitulis iij s. iiij d. In liiij pullis Gallinaceis iiij s. ij d. In butiro vj d. In CC Ouis x d. Summa viij s. iiij d. x d.
Item in iiij lagenis kreme xij d. iiij lagenis lactis iij d. ⸢v d.⸣ In melle x d. In diuersis speciebus iij s. iiij d. Summa v s. v d. viij d.
Item in Sale ij d. Aceto j d. Otemele j d. ob. In vj porcellis xxij d. In stipendio Roberti Greyson ministralli ⸢et alio⸣ v s. Summa vij s. ij d. ob.
Item in Stipendio henrici langham Coci ij s. In Swilleres & Turneres xij d. In focali ij s. Summa v s.

Summa lvj s. vij d. ob.


  • Record Translation

    p 53 (1 June 1488–14 June 1489) (Expenses on the principal day)


    On expenses for the obsequies held last year, 6d; for <...>; on one quarter (and) one bushel of grain, 4s 6d; on milling and baking, 12d. In total, 6s.
    Likewise on drink: eight dozen of ale, 10s 8d; on drink, 4d; on forty-six geese with feed, 10s; on one sheep, 3s. In total, 24 s.
    Likewise on two calves, 3s 4d; on fifty-four chicken pullets, 4s 2d; on butter, 6d; on 200 eggs, 10d. In total, 8s 10d
    Likewise on four gallons of cream, 12d. Four gallons of milk, 5d; on honey, 10d; on various spices, 3s 4d In total 5s 8d.
    Likewise on salt, 2d. Vinegar, 1d. Oatmeal, 1 1/2d; on six piglets, 22d; on Robert Greyson, the minstrel's stipend, 5s, and another. In total, 7s 2 1/2d.
    Likewise on Henry Langham, the cook's stipend, 2s; on swillers and turners, 12d; on fuel, 2s. In total, 5s.

    In total, 56s 7 1/2d.


  • Glossed Terms
    • potus, -us n m drink, here weak ale as distinct from ceruisia
    • otemele n oatmeal; otmele
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 1 June 1488.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top