p 4 (Expenses) (18 June–3 June)
⁌ Item ad principalem diem In pane empto, v s. ob. Item vj d.
Item in seruicia vj dossenis dimidio ix s. ix d. Item vj d. Item in angnis iiij s. viij d. Item carne oves iij s.
Item in carnis vitulinis xiiij d. In porcicellis iij s. v d. Item in porcos v d.
Item in xx aucis iij s. iiij d. Item j quarterio auenarum xvj d. Item in flora ix d. Item in sp<..>bus iij s. vij d.
Item in igne xij d. in salo j d. ob. Item in ouis vj d. Item in vinegra iiij d. Item in lakte & cremio xij d.
c<.>pis ij d.
cirpis ij d. Item in caseo vj d. Item in coco ij s. ii d. Item
conduxcione coquin' Item in
conduxcione coquina viij d. Item in
veriuetoribus iiij d.
siphis iiij d. Item in
sitrabartha iiij s. iiij d.
Item in ginguro album ij d. Item pro costagio de le menstrall vj d. °Item pro veriueteribus ij d. in vinegra j d.°
p 4 (Expenses) (18 June–3 June)
⁌ Likewise for the principal day, on bread purchased 5s 1/2d; likewise 6d.
Likewise on ale, six (and) a half dozen, 9s 9d; likewise 6d; likewise on lamb, 4s 8d; likewise on sheep meat 3s.
Likewise on veal meat, 14d; on piglets, 3s 5d; likewise on pigs, 5 d.
Likewise on 20 geese, 3s 4d; likewise on one quarter of oats, 16d; likewise on flour, 9d; likewise on spices, 3s 7d.
Likewise on the fire, 12d; on salt, 1 1/2d; likewise on eggs, 6d; likewise on vinegar, 4 d; likewise on milk and cream, 12 d.
Likewise on rushes, 2d; likewise on cheese, 7d; likewise on the cook, 2s 2d.
Likewise on the renting of the kitchen, 8d; likewise on turnspits, 4d; likewise on cups, 4d; likewise on the harper, 4s 4d.
Likewise on white ginger, 2d; likewise for the cost of the minstrel, 6d; likewise for turnspits 2d; on vinegar 1d.
Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
Repository location: Wisbech
The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).
1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'