Hampshire, Crondall, 1557–8
Surrey History Centre: CRON/6/1

f 19 (25 April–17 April) (Receipts)


Receyved at whitsontyde for our churche ale iiij li. ij d. ob.


  • Footnotes
    • whitsontyde: 6–8 June 1557
  • Endnote

    No date is given, except names of the churchwardensJohn Sone and John Wolbrig – and as the latter was a churchwarden in the previous year (his name then spelled 'Wolveridge'), this must be the year starting on Low Sunday 3&4 Philip and Mary. (As in many parishes, the churchwardens of Crondall served two-year terms, staggered so that a new churchwarden always served with one who had had a year's experience.) Neither Sone nor Wolbrig/Wolveridge is named as a churchwarden in the following set of accounts, so the years for which accounts are missing must have come after this set of accounts, and not before it.

  • Document Description

    Record title: All Saints' Churchwardens' Accounts
    Repository: Surrey History Centre
    Shelfmark: CRON/6/1
    Repository location: Woking

    Crondall is a village in northeast Hampshire, close to the Surrey border. The monks of St Swithun's Priory, Winchester, held the manor of Crondall until the Dissolution, when it passed to the dean and chapter of Winchester Cathedral and was leased to George Paulet, younger brother of William Paulet, the first marquess of Winchester, and great uncle to Sir Richard Paulet of Herriard and Freefolk. The Wriothesleys, earls of Southampton, purchased the manors of Itchel and Ewshott from the Giffard family in 1579 and sold them again in 1624 ('Parishes: Crondall,' in VCH: Hampshire, vol 4, pp 5–14, British History Online, http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/hants/vol4/pp5-14, accessed 18 August 2015). The accounting year varies a good deal in the earlier years of these accounts, with the ending date occurring anywhere from early May to as late as August in 1546. From 1554 on, the accounts were usually rendered in April.

    1543–1699; English; paper; iii + 87 + ii; 275mm x 192mm; modern pencil foliation (ff 23 and 27 given duplicate numbers, both marked with superscript 'x'); brown leather over cardboard binding, marbled end-papers, designs stamped into leather of front and back covers, title in gold on spine: 'CHURCH- | WARDENS | ACCOUNTS | 1543 | TO | 1699.'

Back To Top