Record title: All Saints'
Repository: Surrey History Centre
Repository location: Woking
Crondall is a village in northeast Hampshire, close to the Surrey border. The monks of St Swithun's Priory, Winchester, held the manor of Crondall until the Dissolution, when it passed to the dean and chapter of Winchester Cathedral and was leased to George Paulet, younger brother of William Paulet, the first marquess of Winchester, and great uncle to Sir Richard Paulet of Herriard and Freefolk. The Wriothesleys, earls of Southampton, purchased the manors of Itchel and Ewshott from the Giffard family in 1579 and sold them again in 1624 ('Parishes: Crondall,' in VCH: Hampshire, vol 4, pp 5–14, British History Online, http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/hants/vol4/pp5-14, accessed 18 August 2015). The accounting year varies a good deal in the earlier years of these accounts, with the ending date occurring anywhere from early May to as late as August in 1546. From 1554 on, the accounts were usually rendered in April.
1543–1699; English; paper; iii + 87 + ii;
275mm x 192mm; modern pencil foliation (ff 23 and 27 given duplicate
numbers, both marked with superscript 'x'); brown leather over cardboard
binding, marbled end-papers, designs stamped into leather of front and
back covers, title in gold on spine: 'CHURCH- | WARDENS | ACCOUNTS |
1543 | TO | 1699.'