Record title: St John the Baptist's
Repository location: Winchester
The parish of St John the Baptist lies just east of the River Itchen, outside Winchester's walls in the area known as the 'Soke,' which was under the jurisdiction of the bishop of Winchester. That makes it especially remarkable that St John's continued to hold king ales even after Bishop Cooper prohibited such activities throughout the diocese in 1585 (see Letter of Thomas Cooper, Bishop of Winchester, 1585). The accounting period initially begins in early January, but later shifts to April.
1596–1824; English; paper; vii + 463 + 0; 320mm x 220mm; 18th-c. foliation first 99 leaves only; good condition; original parchment cover.