f 388 (25 January)
|It is Ordered that ffrauncis Hensloe gentleman (blank) white and Edward Griffen before the xxth day of March next shall cast and clense euery one theire seuerall partes of the pisser that leadeth downe to maydlane vpon payne to forfeict for euery pole then vndone||ij s. vj d.|
|Hensloe||It is Ordered that ffrauncis Hensloe gentleman before the xxth day of March next shall boarde vp two poles more or lesse of his wharfe lyinge against the play house in maydlane vpon payne to forfeict for either pole then vndone||vj s. viij d./|
[Footnote: extracta … Surreie: 'estreat made by the sheriff of Surrey']
Philip Henslowe's nephew Francis (1566–1606) appears in the St Saviour's Token Books as resident along Rose Alley adjacent to the playhouse in 1594; see Ingram and Nelson, http://tokenbooks.folger.edu">Token Books. By 1594 Francis had joined the Queen's Men (Foakes, Henslowe's Diary, p xxv and n 2) but in 1595 he was acting at the Swan near where he had relocated to Langley's 'New Rents' in Paris Garden (1595–8). He cannot be tracked in the Token Books in 1603–4 when he shows up here associated with the Rose playhouse. See further Mark Eccles, 'Elizabethan Actors II: E-J' Notes and Queries, 38.4 (1991), 459; Chambers, Elizabethan Stage, vol 2, p 323; Edwin Nungezer, A Dictionary of Actors and of Other Persons Associated with the Public Representation of Plays in England before 1642 (New Haven and London, 1929), 186–7. Griffen and a Thomas White were both listed in the Token Books for 1604 as resident in Horseshoe Alley which led down to Maid Lane. Francis Henslowe is not listed as a resident that year.
Record title: Surrey and Kent Commissioners for Sewers'
Repository location: London
Most of the pre-1642 records of the Surrey and Kent Commissioners for Sewers are now
deposited at the London Metropolitan Archives. The LMA collections catalogue succinctly describes this source as
follows: 'Early Commissioners of Sewers were solely concerned with land
drainage and the prevention of flooding, not with the removal of sewage
in the modern sense. In 1531 an Act of Sewers was passed which set out
in great detail the duties and powers of Commissioners and governed
their work until the 19th century. Gradually a permanent pattern emerged
in the London area of seven commissions, five north and two south of the
Thames, with, after the Great Fire, a separate commission for the City of London.... Letters Patent for the Surrey and Kent Commissioners of Sewers were
issued in 1554. Its minutes begin in 1570 and it was the earliest of the
London Commissions to be established on an organised basis. The area of
its jurisdiction ran from East Molesey in Surrey to the River
Ravensbourne, and included Lambeth, Southwark, Bermondsey, Newington,
Deptford, Rotherhithe, Clapham, Battersea, Camberwell, Vauxhall,
Wandsworth, Putney, Barnes, Kew, Lewisham, Walworth, Kennington, Nine
Elms, Peckham and New Cross. The area of jurisdiction remained the same
throughout the three centuries during which it functioned.' See further
Ida Darlington, 'The London Commissioners of Sewers and their Records,'
in Prisca Munimenta: Studies in Archival & Administrative
History presented to Dr A.E.J. Hollaender, Felicity Ranger
(ed) (London, 1973), 282–98.
John Norden's 1593 map shows the lines of the Bankside sewers (or drainage ditches). There were three running along the Little Rose property: two to the south along Maiden Lane and one on the west side adjacent to the Bear Garden property.
For an abstract of the document and details of its transcription history, see the related EMLoT event records here and here.
3 January 1568/9–25 April 1606; English with some Latin; paper; i + 520 + i; 410mm x 280mm (text size variable); index foliated in pencil 1–24 relating to ff 1–210 of the text, ink foliation follows, 1–444, pencil foliation 445–70 (all blank), a second index numbered in pencil 1–21, 21b, 22, 22b, 23, 23b follows the text for ff 211–444; restored, conserved and rebound in beige vellum with corded bands on spine with leather ties. Now stored in a box; within the box also are the previous red leather boards and spine with 'SEWERS | SURREY & KENT | MINUTES | 1 | 1557–1606.'